PCR Business Systems is thrilled to welcome Andrew Unger to our team as our newest Akron IT support specialist and onsite technician.
Tag Archive for: IT Services
We are happy to welcome Lucas Wright to the PCR Business Systems Team. Lucas brings with him IT experience as well as enthusiasm and we’re extremely excited to have him as part of our team.
Here are a few things about Lucas to help you get to know him better:
- Lucas recently got married!
- He and his wife adopted a pup a few years ago. It was around Halloween and they named him “Zero” after the ghost dog from Nightmare Before Christmas which was playing at the time
- He grew up in Tallmadge where he went to high school and was a member of the robotics club and student senate
- He obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology from the University of Akron before shifting gears and going into IT
- He enjoys playing PC and tabletop games
- He recently completed Google’s IT Support Professional Program and has plans in the works to obtain several more IT certifications
Questions for Lucas:
Q: What do you usually have for breakfast?
A: Big bowl of oats
Q: What is your middle name?
Q: Favorite sport to watch?
A: Overwatch League (esport) and the Browns
Q: Goal you have for yourself?
A: My recent goal has been achieved in getting hired here at PCR. Next I want to accomplish getting my A + certifications, and then start working on obtaining other CompTIA certifcations (Network + & Security+) to really expand my knowledge and skillset.
A: My pup named Zero. Two cats Lily and Calvin
Q: What is your hobby?
A: PC and tabletop gaming
Q: What is your favorite restaurant?
A: Saffron Patch. It’s an Indian restaurant in the Valley.
Q: What is your favorite drink?
A: French press coffee or really any IPA
Q: What’s your favorite travel destination? (been there or want to go)
A: Cruises anywhere.
Q: What characteristics do you admire (in self or others)?
A: Definitely a good sense of humor! And a genuine sincerity in the way they talk or listen to you.
In businesses since 2004, PCR is the trusted IT provider for Akron area businesses. Learn more at pcrbusiness.com.
PCR Business Systems is one of the fastest growing Managed Service Providers (MSPs) in the Akron area, with an ever-expanding list of clients who we provide world-class service for. We offer exciting opportunities for employee advancement in an environment where you can showcase and hone your skills while working alongside talented and like-minded individuals.
We are a close-knit group who enjoy a good company BBQ, an occasional craft beer after work, and who are all supportive of each other in helping achieve one common goal—to provide service that is nothing short of excellent.
Sound like you would be a good fit? Here’s what we’re looking for…
The Opportunity…Full-Time Installation Support Specialist
Job Description…This entry level position is perfect for someone looking to gain experience and growth in the IT Industry. The Installation Technician will be tasked with installing, configuring, and testing new computer equipment to client specifications, recycling outdated equipment, and training clients on how to optimize new IT equipment.
Who we’re looking for… Eager, growth-minded individuals who want to grow with us and who are pursuing a career in IT.
A successful candidate will be able to perform the following duties:
- Inspect computer equipment and prepare equipment for delivery
- Installation of computer hardware and peripheral components on client’s premises
- Loads specified software packages such as operating systems, Office applications and other 3rd party software on client’s computer systems
- Responds to client inquiries concerning systems operation and diagnoses system hardware, software, and operator problems
- Instructs users in use of equipment, software, and manuals
- Recommends or performs minor remedial actions to correct problems
- Coordinates activities with help desk, network services, or other information systems groups
- Provides updates, status, and completion information to manager, problem request tracking system, and/or users, via voice mail, e-mail, or in-person communication
- Replaces defective or inadequate software packages
- Refers major hardware problems to manager for escalation and correction
- Provides documentation for specific software installations and updates client’s document repository as needed
To be successful in this position, candidates will possess the following personal attributes:
- Excellent communications skills – clear verbal skills, both spoken and written: ability to explain technical products and processes in a conceptual and clear way to a non-technical audience
- Writing skills – important for development of customer proposals, statements of work, reports and presentations, and for communication with customers in writing/email
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Keen attention to detail
- Personable and enthusiastic with the ability to build relationships with employees across all levels of the organization
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks
- Highly self-motivated and directed
Wage: $14.50-19.25/hr. based on experience
- Health Benefits
- Company matched retirement plan
- Company paid certification/education program
Email your Resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Company… In business since 2004, PCR Business Systems is one of the leading Managed Service Providers (MSP) in Akron, OH. Learn more here.
Think of your internet and sensitive data like you would a car. We take several preventative measures to keep our vehicles from being the target of thieves. We lock our doors, hide valuables from plain sight, install car alarms and anti-theft devices like the Club, and avoid parking in unsafe and dimly lit areas.
So why don’t we always take similar steps to protect our computers and smart phones from people looking to steal our valuable information or money from our online accounts?
Just like car thieves, most hackers look for easy targets. They’ll prey on victims with weak passwords or who use unsecured WiFi to access important financial accounts or to make online purchases. Fortunately, just like with keeping our cars from getting stolen or broken into, a little cyber defense can go a long way in keeping you from getting hacked.
Below are 5 simple things you can do RIGHT NOW to minimize your chances of being hacked.
1). Make sure your security software is up-to-date. Don’t ignore those notifications that pop-up on your screen telling you that your operating system requires an update. That update may contain critical security patches that must be installed in order to keep your system protected from hackers.
Email programs, apps and web browsers should all be updated whenever a software update is available. In addition, as we wrote in the article “End of the Road for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008,” make sure you are using an operating system (OS) that is not obsolete. Using an OS or any software that is no longer supported can leave you extremely vulnerable to a cyber-attack.
2). Create strong passwords, change them regularly, and don’t use the same password for everything. This seems pretty simple, and it is! In the unfortunate event that a hacker gains access to one of your passwords, for example your Facebook login; you can mitigate the damage by ensuring that password is ONLY used for Facebook. If you use the same password for Facebook as you do for your online banking, email, etc. you could be in real trouble as hackers will have access to all of those accounts.
Fortunately, you can prevent hackers from gaining access to any of your accounts by creating strong passwords with a variety of numbers, capital letters, and unique characters, and changing them regularly. Keep a log of your passwords locked in a safe place in your desk or your home.
3). Use Multi-Factor Authentication on all devices. In addition to password protection, you can also thwart off hackers by using multi-factor authentication for all connected devices. Multi-factor authentication simply means that you must present multiple credentials (in addition to just a single password) to gain access to your device or account. Using Multi-factor authentication will help protect your sensitive data against the leading cause of data security breaches– stolen credentials.
4). Install proper antivirus software. If you already have up-to-date security software installed, good for you! You’re one step ahead. If you don’t, make sure you install a firewall today and stay current with updates. Do your research before installing any program or software, and feel free to give us a call at 330.572.7575 or email directly at email@example.com and we can recommend the best antivirus and antimalware software on the market today.
5). Limit the use of public WiFi and unsecured devices. Do your best to only browse the internet from a secure network. While we understand this may be difficult while traveling, especially if you need to book a last minute hotel or pay a bill online, try to find a network that is safe and password protected. Never use open Wifi for accessing email or important accounts. Just as you wouldn’t leave your purse or laptop on the front seat of your car for a would-be thief to see, you should never display sensitive data on an unsecured network for hackers to get their hands on.
Staying ahead of hackers can be a challenging task. However, implementing these five things today will at the very least make it more difficult for hackers to gain access into your data–limiting the chances they’ll go after you in the first place.
In Business since, 2004, PCR Business Systems is the leading IT Service Provider in Akron, OH and is SOC 2 Audited and Certified. Schedule a free review of your IT today!
PCR Business Systems provides cost-effective IT solutions and IT managed services for small- to mid-sized businesses in the Akron, Hudson, and Cleveland, OH, areas. We know local and regional companies have demanding IT needs, often without the support of an in-house IT department. Allow PCR to handle your IT needs.